San Diego County is one of the country’s dog-friendliest regions. In fact, as long as your pooch is on a leash that isn’t longer than eight feet, he or she is welcome in most of the county’s parks, trails and other outdoor facilities.
The county has gone a step further though and created special areas where you can allow your pet to run free of the leash and bond with other dogs and humans. Remember, it’s just as important to clean up after your pet in the off-leash areas as the on-leash ones, so don’t forget the bags!
The following is a list of the area’s off-leash dog parks and beaches. Some have restricted hours, so visit the websites to learn more.
1. Morley Field – Balboa Park, northwest of tennis courts.
2. Nate’s Point – On the south side of Cabrillo Bridge, at Balboa Dr. and El Prado.
3. Veterans Park Dog Park – 785 E. Palomar St.
4. Montevalley Park – 840 Duncan Ranch Rd.
5. Charles L Lewis III Memorial Park – 4750 Home Ave.
6. Caeman Community Park – 4280 Avati Dr
7. Coronado Dog Beach – 100 Ocean Blvd
8. North Beach Area – 29th Street to Solana Beach border
9. Wells Park – 1153 E Madison Ave.
10. Kearny Mesa Community Park – 3170 Armstrong St.
11. Canine Corners Dog Park – Harry Griffin Park – 950 Milden St.
12. Maddox Neighborhood Park – 7815 Flanders St.
13. Fiesta Island – In Mission Bay Park, 1590 East Mission Bay Dr.
14. Ward Canyon Neighborhood Park – 3905 Adams Ave.
15. Dog Beach – Voltaire St. (at the end)
16. Dusty Rhodes Neighborhood Park – 2469 Sunset Cliffs Blvd. (between Nimitz and West Point Loma)
17. Otay Ranch Town Center Park – 2015 Birch Rd.
18. Capehart Park – Soledad Mountain Rd. and Felspar St.
19. Poway Dog Park – 13094 Civic Center Dr.
20. Rancho Bernardo Park – 18448 West Bernardo Dr.
21. Rancho Peñasquitos Park – Salmon River Rd. at Fairgrove Ln.
22. Grape Street Park – Grape and 28th Streets
Save & Exit 23. Torrey Highlands Park – Lansdale Dr. off Del Mar Heights Rd. (behind Torrey Pines High School)
24. Doyle Community Park – 8175 Regents Rd.
25. Nobel Park – 8820 Judicial Dr.